Importing contacts

Moderator: areski

Importing contacts

Postby far0ck » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:39 pm

Hello,

i just wanted to know if there is an easier way to import csv files, why are we forced to use pipe separator instead of the classic " ; "
Importing contacts is the hardest part of using your software and i really which, if there's no other choice, to find a way together to make this task easier.

Best Regards.
far0ck

Re: Importing contacts

Postby areski » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:40 pm

The reason is very simple, one of the field is a json format that can be imported as additional_vars. If we were allowing the standard coma for import then the json will fail on import.
Ideally we could let the user to decide which separator he wants to use, as I believe only advanced users will know and use the json field.
areski
Site Admin

Re: Importing contacts

Postby jroper » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:44 am

Hi

One tip that's helped me is, if your contact list is in Excel, use concatenation to create a single column in the correct format for import, using a formula as follows, A1&"|"&B1&"|"&... to concatenate the contact numbers, names and pipe symbols from the appropriate columns.

You then copy and paste that column into a text editor, save as a text file, and then import it into Newfies-Dialer. This is often easier (and quicker) than trying to get Excel to export in the correct format.

Joe
jroper

Return to Installation